Citing the data you use in projects and papers is just as important as citing articles and books.
- Author or creator - the person(s), organization, issuing agency or agencies responsible for creating the dataset
- Date of publication - the year the dataset was published, posted or otherwise released to the public (not the date of the subject matter).
- Title or description - complete title or if no title exists, you must create a brief description of the data, including time period covered in the data if applicable
- Publisher - entity (organization, database, archive, journal) responsible for hosting the data
- URL or DOI - the unique identifier if the data set is online.
Data citations will need to be tailored to the specific requirements of the particular style a discipline uses
Example from Purdue Owl in APA: