Kenyon's library does not place all of its ethnographies together on a shelf. Due to the wide range of topics, subject areas, and geographic regions covered in our collection of ethnographies, the books are scattered throughout the building. For example, ethnographies may be shelved in the library under Religion (B), Social Sciences (H), Music (M), or Medicine (RA).
Choosing a Culture
Reference books can be helpful if you don't know where to begin. If you find a topic or subject of interest, check the bibliography for the title of an ethnography, the name of an anthropologist, or see if the author of the encyclopedia's article has written an ethnography.
Strategies for Finding an Ethnography
- Think about your interests.
- Is there an area of world that intrigues you?
- Have you traveled somewhere and want to learn more about the local people in that area?
- Do you want to learn more about a specific custom or way of life?
- Class G: Geography. Anthropology. Recreation
- GN301-674: Ethnology. Social and Cultural Anthropology
- GT1-7070: Manners and Customs
- Class D: World History and History of Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, etc.
- Class E: History of the Americas
- Class F: History of the Americas
Locating a Specific Book
- The CONSORT catalog can be used to locate books (and other matierials such as videos, sound recordings, government documents, and special collections materials) available in the Kenyon, Denison, Ohio Wesleyan, and the College of Wooster libraries. Items requested from Denison should arrive in 24-36 hours, and Wooster/Ohio Wesleyan requests will arrive in 3-5 days.
- Kenyon students also have access to OhioLINK, the combined catalog of 88 academic and public libraries throughout Ohio. Books requested through OhioLINK will take 3-5 days to be delivered.
- WorldCat is a catalog of library holdings throughout the country and world. It contains records for many types of materials: books, sound recordings, video recordings, manuscripts, etc. You must use Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to request items not available via CONSORT or OhioLINK. Delivery time will vary depending on the location of the material. Some requests may take up to 6 weeks.
Associate Director for Research and Instruction
Olin Library 316
740.427.5834 (on campus x.5834)
Fall Semester Reference Desk Hours:
Available for individual or small group appointments.